Area Attractions and Things to Do
Columbia County, situated between the Hudson River and the Berkshire Mountains in upstate New York, is well known for its open spaces and agricultural heritage and is a perfect place for your vacation getaway at Thyme in the Country. Farmlands, orchards, scenic views and quaint small towns are all part of what draws travelers to the Hudson Valley looking for a simpler, more natural way of living with a creative and quirky flair. There is an eclectic variety of shopping in one-of-a-kind stores where the word “chain” is never spoken. Restaurants are first-class eateries where farm-to-table dining is considered a norm. This is a great place to wander on foot, on bike, or by car.
Any time of the year is a good time to visit Hudson, NY. It is considered to have some of the most historic architecture in New York State, and America’s history had its foundations along the Hudson River. There are many historic sites to explain it to you firsthand. Take a river cruise; enjoy a hot air balloon ride; go to a play; spend a day picking fruit; tour wineries, distilleries or a brewery; and attend a farm festival with your children. You will have fun and help out the local economy of people working together on the challenging task of keeping this county so beautiful and liveable.
Things to do at the B&B: [Read Details…]
- Explore nature with the coming of spring
- See first hand how a cow is milked
- Read….in front of the fire
- Have a massage
- Take a bubble bath
- Tour the vegetable gardens
- Play badminton, tetherball
- Nap in a Hammock
- Have a campfire
- Gather chicken eggs & observe the animals
- Take beautiful photographs
- Paint, sketch a picture…the scenery is lovely
Things to do in our Neighborhood: [Read Details…]
- Visit The Nature Institute
- Hawthorne Valley School
- Columbia Land Conservancy: Find nearby areas for snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and many walking trails to follow
- Art Omi Outdoor sculpture and more
- Hudson Chatham Winery : Wine tastings every weekend, (518) 392-9463
- Hudson Berkshire Beverage Trail : Sample locally produced wines, beers and vodka.
Within a 10-mile radius of our B&B: [Read Details…]
- Hudson, NY, only 6 miles from Thyme in the Country – A small, riverfront city with roots in the 18th-century whaling industry, Hudson is now an ideal destination for art, antiques, boutiques, architecture, and farm-to-table food. The city prides itself on supporting small and local businesses, some of which can be found in the area’s historic homes. Featuring farmers’ markets, fairs, festivals, and a variety of events, you will surely find exactly what you enjoy!
- Catamount Aerial Adventure Park
Attend an Auction
- Copake Auction 266 Route 7A Copake, New York 12516
Looking for Night Life? [Read Details…]
Eat Organic Food: [Read Details…]
Visit nearby Farms; bring home fresh food: [Read Details…]
- Cowberry Crossing: Biodynamic meats, Vegetables and eggs
- Farm at Millers Crossing: Organic produce 518-851-2331
- Hawthorne Valley: Biodynamic Farm and Farm Market
- Columbia County Bounty a web site listing farms with local produce and restaurants with local food
Follow our Local Beverage Trail visit wineries, a brewery, distilleries
Leave the driving to a Professional, arrangements can be made with Farm to Glass Tours for transportation to following venues for tastings and tours of their operations. Farm to Glass Tours has Terrific TripAdvisor reviews.
- Harvest Distillery at Golden Harvest Farms, 3074 US Route 9 Valatie, NY 12184contact: email@example.com They make AppleJack, Brandy and Vodka Tasting room open for tastings and sales every Saturday and Sunday 12 – 5 pm.
- Hillrock Estate Distillery making Solera Aged Bourbon
408 Pooles Hill Road
Ancram, New York 12502
- Tousey Winery making white, red and dessert wines 1774 Rte 9 #1, Germantown, NY 12526 Phone: (518) 567-5462
- CLERMONT VINEYARDS & WINERY Tasting room will open in April, every Fri., Sat. noon-sunset; Sun. noon-5pm 241 County Route 6 Clermont, NY 12526 Phone: (845) 663-6611
- Hudson-Chatham Winery events Has Achieved the honor of Best Local Winery 3 years now! Open YEAR-ROUND, Wednesdays through Sundays, 12 to 5 pm. email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518-392-WINE (9463).
Nearby Historic Sites: [Read Details…]
- Steepletop, the home of poet Edna St Vincent Millay
- Olana Historical Site. Watch the sunset from a spectacular panoramic view, well worth the eight-mile drive on a nice evening!
- Columbia County Historical Society Sites
- Bronk House Museum
- Martin Van Buren National Historic Site
- Clermont State Historic Site
Places to take a walk, cross country ski, sled ride: [Read Details…]
Places to Rent Bikes: [Read Details…]
Enjoy artworks, Plays, Concerts, movies: [Read Details…]
Listings of Current events in the area: [Read Details…]
Hot Air Ballooning: [Read Details…]
Boating: [Read Details…]
Places to swim other than our back yard: [Read Details…]
- Lake Taghkanic State Park Taconic State Parkway or 1528 Route 82, Ancram 518-851-3631
- Taconic State Park Rte. 344 (off Rte. 22), Copake Falls 518-329-3993